FREE CHRISTIAN REPRINT ARTICLES
Christian Articles for All of your Publishing Needs!
Word Count: 755
|Send Article To Friend||Print/Use Article|
An Act of Father Abraham
by Olawale Ogunsola
8/24/2014 / Bible Studies
Father Abraham called his wife, Mama Sarah, his sister when they were about to enter Egypt while both fled for severe famine in the land of Canaan.
This was also repeated when they were soujourners in Gerar, the land of King Abimelech.
A school of thought see this as LYING. Not only this, this school of thought believe that LYING is one of the reasons Father Abraham at age ninety.nine was instructed by God to "Walk before me and be perfect". Gen. 17:1
A thorough examination reveals the contrary.
1. Sarah was in fact Abraham' s sister. In Genesis 20:12, Abraham declared, "But indeed she is truly my sister. She is the daughter of my father, but not the daughter of my mother; and she became my wife."
That is the truth.
2. In the same vein, loving couple are brother and sister. If they see and deal with each other as such, they will be each other's keeper.
Cain, the first child of Adam and Eve, failed to see Abel as his brother; so he killed him.
If Abraham and Sarah cared for each other as brother and sister and they fared well everywhere they went every couple have a lesson to learn from them.
3. Abraham was a Prophet as revealed by his friend, God, in Genesis 20:7.
It is not every conversation between these close friends that are on record. No one can exactly say what transpired between them before Abraham arrived Egypt to call Sarah his sister. Therefore, to call him a liar may amount to calling him a false Prophet. He saw what the Egyptians would do beforehand. It was exactly as he predicted it.
4. Abraham is known as father of faith; this had given birth to four different religions in the world today. To call Sarah his sister can also be an evidence of his total surrender to the will of God who can intervene in his situation as the Almighty God .
He did not fail him!
God came in differently, both in Egypt and in Gerar to rescue his friend's wife. It is a proof of his trust in God.
5. The knowledge that Abraham had helped him to plan well.
* he knew how beautiful his wife was. It was a beauty fit for the palace of a king. It was beauty that cannot be hidden; one that was not a function of cosmetics.
It was a beauty from within!
*he knew the behavior of those who do not fear God. A city where there is no fear of God will enthrone wickedness; he knew this.
He understand very well what could befall him on account of his beautiful wife. He saw evils coming, so he must act right to prevent them.
As a result of this, he applied wisdom.
As a friend of God, Abraham could not afford doing contrary to Him. On this, it is a matter of "like God like His friend". Scriptures inform us,
"The Lord by wisdom founded the earth;
By understanding He established the heavens;
By His knowledge the depths were broken up,
And clouds drop down the dew."
Therefore, "If you are wise, you are wise for yourself,
And if you scoff, you will bear it alone."
Is this not true of Abraham?
6. Kindness begets kindness! To call Abraham her brother was Sarah's kindness to him. It was the best to show her love for him and kindness to herself. In Abraham's words,
"Therefore it will hapen, when the Egyptians see you, that they will say, 'This is his wife." and they will kill me, but they will let you live.
Please say you are my sister, that it may be well with me for your sake, and that I may live because of you. "
This became a permanent kindness everywhere they went.
7. Indeed, God trusted His friend, Abraham. He said about him,
"For I have known him, in order that he may command his children and his household after him, that they keep the way of the Lord..."
This trusted man trained Isaac, his son, to deal with those who did not fear God as he had done. Wherever he went, Isaac also called his wife, sister. God protected them as He did to his parents.
Then, is it right to call Father Abraham "A Liar"?
Bible references taken from New King James Version are:
1. Genesis 12
2. Genesis 18
3. Genesis 20
5. Proverbs 9:12; 3: 19- 20;
The Author is the set man of CTFM(WORLD OUTREACH)and Presiding Pastor of Christ Restland Gospel Church.He is a Poet and author of many books. Visit his blogsites www.4thlink.wordpress.com and www.peacelink.wordpress.com for more quality contents.
If you died today, are you absolutely certain that you would go to heaven? You can be! Click here and TRUST JESUS NOW
Read more articles by Olawale Ogunsola
Like reading Christian Articles? Check out some more options. Read articles in Main Site Articles, Most Read Articles or our highly acclaimed Challenge Articles. Read Great New Release Christian Books for FREE in our Free Reads for Reviews Program. Or enter a keyword for a topic in the search box to search our articles.
The opinions expressed by authors do not necessarily reflect the opinion of FaithWriters.com.