FREE CHRISTIAN REPRINT ARTICLES
Christian Articles for All of your Publishing Needs!
Word Count: 2416
|Send Article To Friend||Print/Use Article|
Just Before You Start a Church
by Segun Olumide
10/25/2014 / Church Life
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. SOME EXISTING CHURCHES MUST FOLD UP; WHILE SOME NEW ONES MUST SPRING UP
2. WRONG REASONS FOR STARTING A CHURCH
3. RIGHT REASON FOR STARTING A CHURCH
SOME EXISTING CHURCHES MUST FOLD UP; WHILE SOME NEW ONES MUST SPRING UP
Malachi 1:10 (NIV) reveals: " 'Oh, that one of you would SHUT THE TEMPLE DOORS,so that you would not light useless fires on my altar! I am not pleased with you,' says the LORD Almighty ."
Jesus boldly warned the leader of the church in Ephesus: "I hold this against you: You have forsaken your first love. Remember the height from which you have fallen! Repent and do the things you did at first.
IF YOU DO NOT REPENT, I WILL COME TO YOU AND REMOVE YOUR LAMPSTAND FROM ITS PLACE" Revelation 2:4-5 (NIV).
The prophetic warning to the prostitute church today is: "Though you, Israel, are a prostitute, may Judah avoid such guilt.
DO NOT JOIN THE FALSE WORSHIP AT GILGAL OR BETH-AVEN [house of wickedness], EVEN THOUGH THEY TAKE OATHS THERE IN THE LORD'S NAME" (Hosea 4:15, NLT).
God has raised up some dangerous ministers with the dangerous anointing to undertake the dangerous task of closing down churches that heaven wants to close down.
This is not to be done in the flesh. It is as the Spirit moves His servants.
One of them is an apostle here in Lagos. He made the declaration about 2 years ago.
Then this year I listened to Sister Toun Praise whom Jesus gave a strong fearful message titled; "CHRUCHES DUE TO BE CLOSED."
I strongly advise every minister to watch this video. You can google it and watch free on the internet via you tube.
The Lord gave her Jeremiah 7:14, "So just as I DESTROYED SHILOH, I WILL NOW DESTROY THIS TEMPLE THAT BEARS MY NAME, this Temple that you trust in for help, this place that I gave to you and your ancestors" (NLT).
WRONG REASONS FOR STARTING A CHURCH
If you have started a church mainly because of any of the following wrong reasons without receiving a rhema or specific instruction from God, then I am sorry for you.
So now, you need to get ready for the shaking, spiritual earthquake coming to churches!
1. "SO THAT I CAN HAVE THE FREEDOM TO DO WHAT I WANT TO DO FOR GOD."
"No one takes this honor upon himself; he must be called by God, just as Aaron was" (Hebrew 5:4, NIV).
2. "MY DENOMINATION DOES NOT APPRECIATE MY WORTH OR VALUE."
(see Galatians 1:10)
Ed Stetzer, an experienced church planter training church planters and pastors around the globe said in an interview: "If you're starting a church because you're mad at the leadership of your old church or they wouldn't let you preach, or you've got something to prove, I think those are wrong reasons to plant a church." 1
3. "MANY PEOPLE ARE PERISHING; SO IT WILL HELP ME REACH OUT TO MORE SOULS."
(see 1 Chronicles 13:9-11; 1 Chronicles 15:13-15)
4. "AS A TRAVELLING PREACHER, I WANT TO HAVE A PLACE TO RETURN TO FROM TIME TO TIME AS MY BASE OR TO RETIRE TO WHEN I AM OLD."
A certain prophet here in Lagos told my wife and me years ago that he had started a church so that when he becomes old he could have a place to retire or return to! How absurd! (see John 3:27).
5. "I HAVE THE FINANCIAL AND MATERIAL RESOURCES TO DO SO."
(see Psalms 127:1)
6. "THAT IS WHAT MY FOLLOWERS WANT."
(see 1 Kings 13:7-14)
7. "THAT IS THE REIGNING THING TODAY, SO IF I DON'T DO, I'LL BE UNPOPULAR AND IRRELEVANT.
The Lord says: "Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong" (Exodus 23:2, NIV).
8. "I HAVE BEEN TO A BIBLE SCHOOL."
Pastor David Yonggi Cho related the sad story of two young men who graduated from their Bible school and proceeded to start a church.
Eventually, when failure frustrated their effort, they went to ask him why they failed whereas he succeeded.
Then it was discovered that while Pastor Cho began church planting based on instruction from God, these young ministers started without any instruction from heaven! They were imitators or copycats (see Acts 19:13-16)!
9. "I HAVE THE EXPERIENCE AND EXPERTISE TO START A CHURCH."
10. "I SAW MYSELF PREACHING TO A LARGE NUMBER OF PEOPLE."
(see Hosea 4:6)
11. "I HAVE A SPECIAL ANOINTING FOR HEALING, MIRACLE, PROPHECY OR VISION."
12. "IT IS AN EXPERIMENT; IF IT WORKS OUT, WE'LL CONTINUE, BUT IF IT FAILS, WE'LL BACK OUT."
The Lord revealed: "I have not sent these prophets, yet they run around claiming to speak for me" (Jeremiah 23:21, NLT).
13. "GOD HAS CALLED ME TO BE A PASTOR."
Not all pastors will start a new church. Some are called to pastor already existing churches while others are called to start new churches.
You must, however, find out from the Lord the type of pastoral calling you have.
14. "I WANT TO PROVE TO SOME PEOPLE THAT I CAN DO IT, TOO, EVEN FAR BETTER THAN THEIR EXPECTATION."
15. "I WANT TO HAVE THE BIGGEST CHURCH AROUND."
Who told you it is now a competition? (see 2 Corinthians 10:12)
16. "NO CHURCH HAS WHAT I WANT."
17. "WE NEED MORE CHURCHES BEFORE WE CAN COMPLETELY EVANGELIZE THE WORLD."
(see Matthew 28:19-20)
18. "A GREAT MAN OF GOD ORDAINED ME; SO I WILL PROSPER IN ANYTHING I LAY MY HANDS UPON, INCLUDING STARTING A CHURCH."
19. "SINCE GOD WANTS VOLUNTEERS, SO I DECIDED TO BE ONE OF THEM."
This could be a misunderstanding of Isaiah 6:8-9.
Isaiah was not a volunteer prophet. He had been prophesying before then, but he was separated into his prophetic office just as Barnabas and Saul were in Acts 13.
God does not want volunteers to start churches, he has ordained those who will do that! Starting a church is different from starting a fellowship!
20. "YOU CAN'T BECOME RICH IN MINISTRY UNLESS AND UNTIL YOU START A CHURCH."
(1 Timothy 6:5-12)
21. "I WANT TO BE REMEMBERED AS A FOUNDER."
A young man who attended some of our meetings years ago said he wanted to be a founder. That was his passion (see Romans 10:2).
22. "I WANT TO LEAVE SOMETHING BEHIND FOR MY WIFE AND CHILDREN TO INHERIT."
So how has the church of Jesus Christ become your family heritage? (see Romans 12:2)
23. "I HAVE RUN SECULAR BUSINESSES SUCCESSFULLY; SO I BELIEVE I CAN START A CHURCH AND RUN IT SUCCESSFULLY THROUGH THE SAME PRINCIPLES."
24. "SOMEONE SAID THAT GOD SAID I SHOULD START A CHURCH, BUT I DON'T KNOW IF GOD SAID SO."
(Proverbs 20:27, Romans 8:14)
25. "I HAVE ATTENDED MANY CHURCH GROWTH CONFERENCES AND READ GOOD BOOKS ON HOW TO START AND GROW A GREAT CHURCH."
(Romans 9:16, 19-20)
26. "I HAVE FAILED IN MY SECULAR CAREER OR BUSINESS."
27. "THE MORE CHURCHES WE HAVE, THE MORE REVIVAL THERE IS IN OUR LAND OR COUNTRY."
God spoke through Prophet Hosea: "The more priests there are, the more they sin against me" (Hosea 4:7, NLT).
28. "IF I DON'T START A CHURCH, THE FRIUT OF MY EVANGELISM WILL BE WASTED OR LOST."
(see Acts 8)
29. "I WANT TO HAVE A SPECIAL CROWN OR REWARD FROM CHRIST FOR A CHURCH PLANTER OR FOUNDER."
The Lord will never reward you for what he did not call or assign you to do (see Matthew 20:20-23).
30. "IT IS A SIGN OF HIGHER SPIRITUAL MATURITY."
(see Ephesians 4:7)
RIGHT REASON FOR STARTING A CHURCH
"For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God" (Romans 8:14).
David thought he had a good reason to build a temple for God, but God did not lead him in that direction.
The Scripture says: 'After the King was settled in his palace and the LORD had given him rest from all his enemies around him, he said to Nathan the prophet, "Here I am living in a palace of cedar, while the ark of God remains in a tent."
Nathan replied to the king, "Whatever you have in mind, go ahead and do it, for the LORD is with you."
That night the word of the LORD came to Nathan saying: "Go and tell my servant David, 'This is what the LORD says, ARE YOU THE ONE TO BUILD ME A HOUSE TO DWELL IN?
Wherever I have moved with all the Israelites, did I ever say to any of their rulers whom I commanded to SHEPHERD my people Israel, "WHY HAVE YOU NOT BUILT ME A HOUSE OF CEDAR?...
When your days are over and you rest with your fathers, I will raisee up your offspring to succeed you, who will come from your own body, and I will establish his kingdom. HE IS THE ONE WHO WILL BUILD A HOUSE FOR MY NAME." ' (2Sam 7:1-5, 7, 12-13, NIV).
Building the temple in the above Scripture can be likened to planting a church today. God did not want David to build the temple. Rather he chose Solomon to do it.
Similarly, unless God directs you to plant a church, don't ever try to plant one or else you may be looking for unnecessary trouble.
Pastor Bill Hybels of Willow Creek Community Church, USA said that one positive reason why an individual should plant a church is that such a person feels "SO BOUND IN SPIRIT TO DO SO THAT IT WOULD BE COSMIC TREASON (crime) TO DO OTHERWISE."
He explained that when he first had the burden to plant a church, the youth ministry he was into had just exploded in growth from 25 to 1,000 people in three years. But when he had the burden to leave the youth ministry and plant a church, he felt 30 per cent crazy and 70 per cent certain that God was prompting him.
He admitted that before he planted that church, he was confident in God's calling. He eventually obeyed God and planted the church when it dawned on him that one day he would have to give account to God and be judged for 'treason' and fearfulness if he did not plant the church.1
When Ed Stetzer was asked what is the first step for a church plant, he replied: "Experiencing the prompting of the Holy Spirit and being obedient to the leadership of the Holy Spirit is the key..Not everyone can plant a church. You could be a very effective pastor but not have the wiring to be a church planter." 2
1. Should You Plant a Church? − An Interview with Ed Stetzer by Randy Bloom
1. "Bill Hybels: 4 Reasons Why Leaders Should and Shouldn't Plant a Church" by Jessica Martinez
2. Should You Plant a Church? − An Interview with Ed Stetzer by Randy Bloom
If you are not yet born-again, say this:
I choose to repent today. Also I choose to believe that Jesus died for my sins and rose up for my justification.
The Scripture says, "If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved" (Rom 10:9).
Therefore, I believe in Jesus in my heart and confess Him as my Lord. Now I am born-again (Amen).
SAY THIS ALOUD TO RECEIVE THE HOLY SPIRIT
Also Jesus said, "But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you and you will be my witnesses" (Acts 1:8).
And on the day of Pentecost "All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance" (Acts 2:4).
Therefore, I receive the Holy Spirit by faith right now and I begin to speak in an unknown tongue (unlearned tongue) as He gives me the utterance.
I command every foul spirit [spirit of fear, spirit of unbelief, spirit of doubt, religious spirit, unforgiving spirit] wanting to hinder me to stop in its evil operation in my life in Jesus' name.
Thank you God for filling me with your Spirit in Jesus' name (Amen).
Books By The Same Author
How to Interpret Dreams and Visions
Why Marriages Break
How To Find The Right Life Partner
Secrets of Financial and Material Prosperity
How to Receive Your Divine Healing
Unfolding the Fivefold Ministry
The Ministry of an Apostle
The Ministry of a Prophet
The Ministry of an Evangelist
The Ministry of a Pastor
The Ministry of a Teacher
Passion for the Lost
Undersanding the Call of God
Basic Bible Course
How to Receive the Holy Spirit
Fulfilling Your Divine Destiny
Day of Reckoning:God's Formula for Eternal Rewards
Identifying Counterfeit Ministries
Sanctification:Changing from Inside Out
O Suffering, Why Really Me?
Intimacy with God
The Pastor's Wife
Why Some Churches Won't Grow!
Just Before You Start A Church
How to Prepare and Deliver Sermons
Finding Your Own Ministry
SPECIAL! SPECIAL! SPECIAL!
A MUST READING/VIEW
(Google the following free of charge on the Internet and God will change your life forever.)
1. "Holiness Required For Heaven by Carillo from Bolivia"
2. "Eternal Destinations: Godly Attire and Adornment"
3. "Another Warning by Kingsley Ubani"
4. "Time Is Over : Run For Your Life by Kingsley Ubani"
5. "9 Testimonies on Tithing from Heaven and Hell Visions"
6. "The Dangers of Eating God's Tithes and Offerings"
7. "The Visitation of Jesus to Samuel Oghenetega"
(Crosscheck these testimonies with the Scriptures and if you have questions you may send us an email.)
About the Author
Segun Olumide and his wife, Tosin are founding ministers in the New Apostolic Movement and the Glorious Family Church International both in Lagos, Nigeria. He has a divine mandate to align the Church with God's purpose.
In a vision, the Lord showed him a Bible opened to the Acts of the Apostles with the words "APOSTOLIC CALL" on one of the pages. They reach out through School Of Ministry, School Of Life (Pre-Bible School) and Healing School. His apostolic teachings have blessed the Body of Christ across the nation.
Connect with me online
If God has blessed you through this book, please send me an e-mail to share your testimony, inspiration or reading experience, mail to:
All rights reserved.
If you died today, are you absolutely certain that you would go to heaven? You can be! Click here and TRUST JESUS NOW
Read more articles by Segun Olumide
Like reading Christian Articles? Check out some more options. Read articles in Main Site Articles, Most Read Articles or our highly acclaimed Challenge Articles. Read Great New Release Christian Books for FREE in our Free Reads for Reviews Program. Or enter a keyword for a topic in the search box to search our articles.
The opinions expressed by authors do not necessarily reflect the opinion of FaithWriters.com.