FREE CHRISTIAN REPRINT ARTICLES
Christian Articles for All of your Publishing Needs!
Word Count: 887
|Send Article To Friend||Print/Use Article|
The Characteristics of the Two Churches
by Bola Olu-Jordan
9/19/2016 / Church Life
(It is recommended that all the scriptures are examined for personal or group study)
Characteristics of the True Church:
1. It is invisible (Joh 4:23, Act 7:48, 17:24, 1Pet 2:5).
2. It consists only of the saved, those with personal encounter and relationship with Jesus (Act 2:47, 5:14) who gather in ekklesia to fellowship with one another and Jesus is the head (1Cor 14:26).
3. It is a local and autonomous gathering expressing the life of Christ without "branches" or "headquarters" (Eph 4:4-5, Rom 16:5, 1Cor 16:9).
4. Cannot be founded or headed by man, Christ is the head (1Cor 11:3, Eph 4:15, 5:35, Col 1:18).
5. It cannot be joined: membership is by birth only (Joh 3:3-5, Rom 8:29, Heb 12:23, 1Pe 1:23, 1Jn 5:18).
6. It is an organism, not an organization (Act 2:41, 5:14).
7. It is built on Jesus alone, not on doctrines, gifts, creeds, saints or man (1Cor 3:11, Mat 16:18).
8. It is not one man-led (Act 14:23, 15:2,4,22, 20:7, Eph 2:23, Col 1:18, 1Tim 5:17).
9. It has no building or physical structure (1Pet 2:5, Joh 4:21-24). The saints are the building blocks.
10. Leaders (elders) are brothers among the brethren, and servants, recognized by their calling (not titles, degrees, certificates, promotion, etc.) through the grace flowing through them to edify the body (Mat 20:25-28, Gal 5:13, 1Tim 5:12-13, Rom 12:6, 1Cor 4:6).
11. It is without human name (Rom 16:5, Col 4, 15, Phm 1:2, 1Cor 16:19, 1Tim 3:15).
12. Church meeting is not a one-man show or program but fellowship together with the saints (1Cor 14:26, Eph 4:11-14, 2Jn 1:7).
13. It owned by Lord Jesus, not by individual, organization, couple or family (Act 20:28, Eph 1:14).
14. Worship is in spirit and truth, and Spirit-led (Mat 26:30, Jon 4:23-24, Eph 5:19).
15. Love among brethren is supreme (Joh 13:34, Jon 15:12, 1Pet 4:8, Col 3:14 1Tim 1:5).
16. They preach Christ alone (Act 2:42, Heb 6:1, 2Jo 1:7).
17. It is Christ-centered, not crowd and multitude-driven (Mat 18:20, Act 2:42, Joh 6:26, 44, 1Cor 2:2).
18. No other attraction to lure people in except Golgotha and the cross (1Cor 2:2,4, Mat 8:34, Mar 10:21).
19. Giving is by the spirit and not by compulsion or coercing of the law. We give all of ourselves, not a part of us (Rom 12:8, 2Cor 8:12, 2:9:7, Phm 1:14, Luk 6:38, 2Cor 8:11-12, 9:7, Phi 3:19, 1Pet 4:10, Jud 11).
20. Preachers are ministers of righteousness in spirit and the gospel is deliverance from sin and eternal death (Mat 6:33, Eph 4:12, 2Cor 5:18).
Characteristics of the Organized Church:
1. It is visible. It has physical structures, altars, and officers (1Cor 3:16).
2. It consists of everyone, saved or unsaved who gather for religious service, programs, and to listen to a man or a select few.
3. It is an organization with head[quarter] / branches and common creed, laws, doctrines, etc.
4. It is founded and/or headed by man who is often the Overseer (1Cor 3:11).
5. It can be joined: membership is by choice, desire, interest or persuasion.
6. It is an organization. Some patterned along blue-chip, multi-national companies or corporations, with promotion, salary structure, etc.
7. It is built on doctrines, gifts, creeds, ideology, saints or men (1Cor 3:11, Mat 16:18).
8. It is one man (or few people) led and has visible head (1Cor 3:3-4).
9. It has buildings, properties, and physical structures referred to as "the Church" (1Pet 2:5, Joh 4:21-24).
10. Leaders are chief and special among the people and they have all authority. It is often by appointment, secondment or qualification. They are recognized by titles, degrees, costume, power and influence (Mat 20:25-28, Mat 23:8-9).
11. It has human names, some reflecting names of the founder, saints or other choice names that identify it with a movement, group or sect.
12. Church meetings are often a program and a one man (or select few) show, not fellowship together with brethren. Members can only participate during tithe and offering time or other (Phi 3:18-19).
13. It is owned by individual, couple, family, organization, or movement, and they can solely appoint successor or inheritor.
14. Praise and Worship sessions are by paid "worship leaders" and instrumentalists who deliver rehearsed and professional session to simulate a spiritual mood or get people into sensual feelings (Mat 15:8).
15. Doctrine and performance is supreme (Phi 3, Gal 3, 5, Phi 2:2-9).
16. They preach and encourage the doctrine of Nicolaitans which Jesus said, "...which thing I hate" (Rev 2:6, 15), (Greek: Nikos = to subdue or dominate, Laos = people, i.e. clergy/laity control)
17. It is crowd and multitude-driven (Mat 18:20, Act 2:47, Joh 6:26, 66).
18. It has various pleasant attractions to lure people in and keep them coming (except Golgotha and the cross) (2Tim 3:1-6, 2Tim 4:3,4).
19. Giving is by the law, compulsion and motivation (Mal 3:8-12, Heb 8:6-9, 2Cor 3:6)
20. Preachers are more of motivational speakers and minister to the soul. Their gospel is premised on the gains and benefits of the kingdom (Mat 6:33, 2Cor 2:17, 2Cor 11:4, 2Pet 2:1-3, Col 2:4, Rom 16:18).
Taken from the Book, the Mystery of the two Churches: the Church that Jesus Built and the Church that Satan Built. Available online and cryoutpublishingdotcom
Bola Olu-Jordan grew up in Africa where much of his spiritual development was birthed. His death experience when he was twelve years old and his 'life' in the spirit world during those periods provoked him to know more about life and his mission on earth. This quest took him to different religions and later formed the root of his strong faith in Christ. He has a deep insight into spirituality and his works often reflect non-religious but divine approach to faith. He is a prophetic teacher with apostolic and early church pattern imprint. When he is not writing, he is busy on a mission trip across the world, especially Africa. Aside from God, his family comes first.
If you died today, are you absolutely certain that you would go to heaven? You can be! Click here and TRUST JESUS NOW
Read more articles by Bola Olu-Jordan
Like reading Christian Articles? Check out some more options. Read articles in Main Site Articles, Most Read Articles or our highly acclaimed Challenge Articles. Read Great New Release Christian Books for FREE in our Free Reads for Reviews Program. Or enter a keyword for a topic in the search box to search our articles.
The opinions expressed by authors do not necessarily reflect the opinion of FaithWriters.com.