FREE CHRISTIAN REPRINT ARTICLES
Christian Articles for All of your Publishing Needs!
Word Count: 4043
|Send Article To Friend||Print/Use Article|
When God confronts the gods of your Enemies
by Bode Ayodele
8/27/2007 / Christian Living
Every individual has a god of some sort. The person who claims not to believe in God serves the god of unbelief. There are those who openly worship the elements of Heaven such as the moon, sun and even powers from beneath the sea. All of these - to such individuals -are the gods that they worship.
Those who practice witchcraft serve such gods. Whenever they confront a problem in life it is witchcraft powers that they consult for assistance. For protection they consult these powers and likewise for help when engaged in warfare with perceived enemies.
In many cases battles rage on between individuals that serve different gods. The Christians who serve the only true God of heaven and earth are engaged in battle with Satanist-who worship the Devil; Witches and Wizards -who serves gods of the earth (they serve Satan and his demons although most of them do not realize this) and Moslems -whose god is Allah.
Witches and wizards cannot stand those who profess Christ while those who directly worship Satan detest others who are averse to such practices. Every one seems to wish that the god he serves reigns supreme, and in most cases, is ready to engage in battle with those who feel otherwise.
But there are cases where it is the gods themselves that do battle with each other. In other words we are not referring to human beings at loggerheads. We are talking about the various gods, whether the true God of heaven and earth, or fake gods (as all of the others are) engaging in duels with each other. Such battles always end in favour of the creator of heaven and earth, the only true God. Our God has never lost of battle!
There are indeed cases were engaging your enemies in battle is a mere waste of time. They keep coming back since the gods they serve are the source of their strength. These fake gods (mainly fallen Angels and demons) give such people (your enemies) the confidence to keep going on.
Under such circumstances the only solution is to set up a battle of supremacy between the God that you serve and the fake gods backing your enemies.
Do not be deceived, even the bible acknowledges that there are gods aside the only true God. These are powers that God created but chose to be worshiped rather than worship. It is unfortunate that a lot of people are worshiping them.
There is a classical example in the bible where a servant of God set up a battle between our God and the gods of his enemies. In fact there are numerous examples of such incidents but we will start with that of Elijah.
1) The God of Elijah versus Baal
Elijah lived in the midst of a perverse nation. Although he served the only true God to whom all Israel owed their salvation and existence he discovered that at this point in time he made the right but unpopular choice.
Most Israelites in those days turned away unto the god called Baal. In fact it was risky to serve or profess any other god at that time, and many servants of the only true God were maimed or killed.
It was this that prompted Elijah to set up a battle between the opposing gods.
As the story is narrated in I Kings 18 Elijah earlier commanded that there should be no rain on the face of the earth for a period of three and a half years. This made him unpopular with King Ahab who sought for his head. The lord appeared to Elijah and told him to show himself to Ahab. He also promised to produce rain.
Elijah however added a new dimension to the story. He knew that it was not only the only true God of heaven and earth that was worshiped in Israel. He also realised that the prophets of the other god- in this case Baal- would equally benefit from the rain that was about to fall.
For the three years when there was no rain in the land (at Elijahs word) none of these false prophets were able to get their gods to produce a drop of water!
Elijah however, must have realized that if he did not set up a battle of supremacy between his God and the false god Baal, the latters prophets- who were in the majority- would claim it was Baal that brought about the long sought after rain!
The book of first Kings Chapter 18 reads:
1 Kings 18:22-40
(22) Then said Elijah unto the people, I, even I only, remain a prophet of the LORD; but Baal's prophets are four hundred and fifty men.
(23) Let them therefore give us two bullocks; and let them choose one bullock for themselves, and cut it in pieces, and lay it on wood, and put no fire under: and I will dress the other bullock, and lay it on wood, and put no fire under:
(24) And call ye on the name of your gods, and I will call on the name of the LORD: and the God that answereth by fire, let him be God. And all the people answered and said, it is well spoken.
(25) And Elijah said unto the prophets of Baal, Choose you one bullock for yourselves, and dress it first; for ye are many; and call on the name of your gods, but put no fire under.
(26) And they took the bullock which was given them, and they dressed it, and called on the name of Baal from morning even until noon, saying, O Baal, hear us. But there was no voice, nor any that answered. And they leaped upon the altar which was made.
(27) And it came to pass at noon, that Elijah mocked them, and said, cry aloud: for he is a god; either he is talking, or he is pursuing, or he is in a journey, or peradventure he sleepeth, and must be awaked.
(28) And they cried aloud, and cut themselves after their manner with knives and lancets, till the blood gushed out upon them.
(29) And it came to pass, when midday was past, and they prophesied until the time of the offering of the evening sacrifice, that there was neither voice, nor any to answer, nor any that regarded.
(30) And Elijah said unto all the people, come near unto me. And all the people came near unto him. And he repaired the altar of the LORD that was broken down.
(31) And Elijah took twelve stones, according to the number of the tribes of the sons of Jacob, unto whom the word of the LORD came, saying, Israel shall be thy name:
(32) And with the stones he built an altar in the name of the LORD: and he made a trench about the altar, as great as would contain two measures of seed.
(33) And he put the wood in order, and cut the bullock in pieces, and laid him on the wood, and said, Fill four barrels with water, and pour it on the burnt sacrifice, and on the wood.
(34) And he said, Do it the second time. And they did it the second time. And he said, Do it the third time. And they did it the third time.
(35) And the water ran round about the altar; and he filled the trench also with water.
(36) And it came to pass at the time of the offering of the evening sacrifice, that Elijah the prophet came near, and said, LORD God of Abraham, Isaac, and of Israel, let it be known this day that thou art God in Israel, and that I am thy servant, and that I have done all these things at thy word.
(37) Hear me, O LORD, hear me, that this people may know that thou art the LORD God and that thou hast turned their heart back again.
(38) Then the fire of the LORD fell, and consumed the burnt sacrifice, and the wood, and the stones, and the dust, and licked up the water that was in the trench.
(39) And when all the people saw it, they fell on their faces: and they said, The LORD, he is the God; the LORD, he is the God.
(40) And Elijah said unto them, Take the prophets of Baal; let not one of them escape. And they took them: and Elijah brought them down to the brook Kishon, and slew them there.
Elijah first gathered the prophets of Baal together. Then he gathered an audience made up of the gullible children of Israel to witness the battle that was about to occur.
He then highlighted the fact that he was outnumbered. One prophet against 450 he explained. The next thing he did was to set up the battle.
Of course The God of Heaven proved himself, - the god called Baal ran away (he did not even show up!) and the prophets of Baal were slain by the children of Israel at Elijahs command.
At this point I suggest we should take this prayer point.
Oh God of Heaven, engage the god of my enemies in battle in the name of Jesus.
2) God of Israel versus the god of the Philistines (Dagon)
Another biblical example of a battle between our God and another false god is that which involved Jehovah and Dagon.
The unique aspect of this battle is the fact that it was set up by the enemy the Philistines themselves!
The bible records this incident in 1 Samuel 5:1-7:
1 Samuel 5:1-7
(1) And the Philistines took the ark of God, and brought it from Ebenezer unto Ashdod.
(2) When the Philistines took the ark of God, they brought it into the house of Dagon, and set it by Dagon.
(3) And when they of Ashdod arose early on the morrow, behold, Dagon was fallen upon his face to the earth before the ark of the LORD. And they took Dagon, and set him in his place again.
(4) And when they arose early on the morrow morning, behold, Dagon was fallen upon his face to the ground before the ark of the LORD; and the head of Dagon and both the palms of his hands were cut off upon the threshold; only the stump of Dagon was left to him.
(5) Therefore neither the priests of Dagon, nor any that come into Dagon's house, tread on the threshold of Dagon in Ashdod unto this day.
(6) But the hand of the LORD was heavy upon them of Ashdod, and he destroyed them, and smote them with emerods, even Ashdod and the coasts thereof.
(7) And when the men of Ashdod saw that it was so, they said, the ark of the God of Israel shall not abide with us: for his hand is sore upon us, and upon Dagon our god.
The Philistines had earned a victory over their enemies, the children of Israel.
The Israelites had brought the Ark of God into the fray hoping that this would sway victory in their favour but due to the sin of the Israelites the Philistines prevailed.
The Philistines felt the victory was as a result of their God Dagon. They took the ark and put it in the house of their god thus, setting up a battle between the two.
I think at this point you should take the following prayer point;
You my enemies make a mistake that will set up a battle between your gods and my God in the name of Jesus.
If the Philistines were wise they would have just left the Ark of God and gone with victory for the day. But they felt that a victory in battle over the Israelites meant a victory for their god, -Dagon- over the God of the children of Israel.
A grave mistake!
First of all God showed mercy and told Dagon to prostrate before him!
(I am sure that Dagon must have pleaded for mercy!)
When the Philistines saw their god prostrated in the morning they did not read much to it and stood him back on his feet again.
The following day Dagons head and hands were cut off!
Our God had claimed the victory.
Please take this prayer point: Oh Lord my God take victory over the gods of my enemies in the name of Jesus.
3) The God of Israel versus the gods of the Egyptians
Yet again, another battle between our God and other false gods is recorded in Genesis 7.
Moses had gone to meet Pharaoh. God told him on to cast down his rod in the presence of Pharaoh which was turned into a snake. Pharaoh saw this as a challenge and called his magicians. The bible says they did like manner with their enhancements:
And Moses and Aaron went in unto Pharaoh, and they did so as the LORD had commanded: and Aaron cast down his rod before Pharaoh, and before his servants, and it became a serpent.
Then Pharaoh also called the wise men and the sorcerers: now the magicians of Egypt, they also did in like manner with their enchantments.
For they cast down every man his rod, and they became serpents: but Aaron's rod swallowed up their rods.
In other words, rather than listen to Moses request, the Egyptians saw it as a challenge to their gods. They introduced their gods into the contest.
Our God did not waste time (remember he is a mighty man of battle) and promptly, the rod of Aaron swallowed up all of the other rods. The power of our God will always swallow up the power of other gods in the name of Jesus.
Please pause to take this prayer point
Oh Lord let your power swallow up the power of the gods of my enemies in the name of Jesus.
That was just the first round. The Lord next instructed Moses and Aaron to stretch their rod over the waters of Egypt. They struck the waters and turned into blood. However, the bible says that Pharaohs magicians through their magic did the same. (Exodus 7:22).
Now the battle was heating up! But the Lord still led Moses and Aaron to perform miracles that the Egyptian magicians could replicate so that they would be deceived into thinking they also were serving real gods!
They did not know they were setting up themselves- and the gods they served fo-r destruction!
The false gods of your enemies shall be set up for destruction and ruin in the name of Jesus.
The Lord commanded Moses to command frogs from the river; the magicians did the same with the enhancements to their gods (Exodus 8:9).
Then the Lord took the battle to another level. He told Moses to turn the dust of the land into lice. The magicians of Pharaoh tried to do the same through the power of their gods but they could not! Their false gods had no response to this move of God and the magicians had to admit such.
They noted that the difference was clear! At this point they were forced to make an admission:
(18) And the magicians did so with their enchantments to bring forth lice, but they could not: so there were lice upon man, and upon beast.
(19) Then the magicians said unto Pharaoh, This is the finger of God: and Pharaoh's heart was hardened, and he hearkened not unto them; as the LORD had said.
Which means the magicians acknowledged that there were certain things beyond the gods they served; that there were miracles only the supreme God of heaven could perform.
Next on the list God told Moses to introduced flies and then destroy the Egyptians cattle in that order- both miracles, the false god of the Egyptians had no answer to - but Pharaohs heart was still hardened.
The next plaque of God was targeted at the magicians themselves. They were covered in boils such that they could not stand before Moses, let alone perform magic!
The gods they served could not heal them of this strange disease (Exodus 9: 11).
I pray the Lord of heaven will deal with your enemies such that they will not be able to stand before you again in the name of Jesus.
Please take this prayer point:
Let the power of the gods of my enemies lure them into destruction in the name of Jesus.
Other plagues included hail stones, locust and thick darkness but Pharaoh- based on false confidence from his gods- still refused to let the Israelites go.
Then God chose to deal the final blow!
He killed all the first born in the land of Egypt. Not only did he deal with the Egyptians but he dealt with the gods they served. Please read the following verses carefully.
For I will pass through the land of Egypt this night, and will smite all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgment: I am the LORD.
Numbers 33:4 confirms as much:
For the Egyptians buried all their firstborn, which the LORD had smitten among them: upon their gods also the LORD executed judgments.
The first verse reads AND AGAINST ALL THE GODS OF EYGPT while the second states: UPON THEIR GODS ALSO I WILL EXECUTE JUDGEMENT.
The stubbornness of Pharaoh put his gods into trouble! Not only did God kill the firstborn of the Egyptians, he executed judgement against their gods!
We know how the judgment of our God can be on the disobedient; the bible says our God is a consuming fire!
The stubbornness of the enemy towards you will put the gods they serve into trouble with our God in the name of Jesus.
The Lord who executed judgment against the gods of the Egyptians will execute judgment against the god's of your enemies in the name of Jesus.
4) God of David versus the god of Goliath
Many would say that the battle in I Samuel 17 was a battle between David and Goliath. But really, it was a battle between the only true God and the god that Goliath served.
Right from the moment Goliath saw David the bible records that he cursed him by his gods.)
1 Samuel 17:43
(43) And the Philistine said unto David, Am I a dog that thou comest to me with staves? And the Philistine cursed David by his gods.
By doing that he was taking the battle to another level. He was turning it into a battle of the God of Israel and his god.
When David responded he told Goliath that he came to the battle in the name of the Lord. In other words both parties bought the God they served into the contest.
1 Samuel 17:45-46
Then said David to the Philistine, Thou comest to me with a sword, and with a spear, and with a shield: but I come to thee in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom thou hast defied.
46) This day will the LORD deliver thee into mine hand; and I will smite thee, and take thine head from thee; and I will give the carcasses of the host of the Philistines this day unto the fowls of the air, and to the wild beasts of the earth; that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel.
Though David stated that Goliath came to him, weapons of war, he made it clear that he solely relied on God to give him victory. At the end of the duel we know whose God prevailed.
Please take this prayer:
I set up a battle between my God and the god of my enemies in the name of Jesus.
5) The God of Phillip versus the god of Simeon.
Finally we will look at an example in the New Testament.
Phillip, one of the apostles was preaching in Samaria.
The bible records that the people with one accord gave heed to the word of God seeing the miracles which he did.
However, as the bible states in the book of Acts:
But there was a certain man, called Simon, which beforetime in the same city used sorcery, and bewitched the people of Samaria, giving out that himself was some great one.
To whom they all gave heed, from the least to the greatest, saying, and this man is the great power of God.
And to him they had regard, because that of long time he had bewitched them with sorceries.
But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.
Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done.
Simeon, through the false god he served, held the people spell bound and bewitched them. But when the God that Phillip served came on the scene, the true God of Heaven and earth Simeon, on his own accord abandoned his god- and marveled at the power of the Lord most high!
It is when there is a confrontation between such gods and our God that their subjects get to realise that they have been deceived.
Take note, as stated earlier on, there are other gods and the bible acknowledges this fact. However we know there is only one God and there is none other beside him:
1 Corinthians 8:5-6
For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,)
But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.
Colossians 2; 15 states that Jesus spoiled principalities and powers, making an open shew of them. These principalities and powers seek worship and claim to be gods. But the Lord our God has been given a name above all names.
One promise of Satan to the fallen angels that rebelled with him is that they would be come gods and no longer need to worship God. He assured them they would all be worshiped.
If you are not yet a born again Christian then the truth is you are serving a false god. It is does not matter whether you are an atheist, free thinker a Moslem or whatever.
There is only one way which is Jesus. He is the way, the truth and the light, besides him there is no other.
Also, you cannot serve others gods with the only true God. The bible says you cannot serve God and mammon. Please do not back the wrong horse. Come to the winning side now- come to Jesus.
If you are facing such a dilemma over such please take this prayer:
Lord Jesus. I accept you as my Lord and saviour today. Please wash me clean with you blood. I come to the Father- God almighty- through faith in you. I acknowledge that all other gods are false. Thank you, Lord for saving me.
For those who are Christians already, I pray that a battle will be set up between our God, -the God of heaven and earth- and the god of your enemies. Our God shall give you the victory. Please take the following prayer points:
Let there be war between my God, Jehovah, and the gods that my enemies serve until they accept Jehovah as the only true God.
Every witch or wizard harassing my life my God shall harass and destroy your gods in the name of Jesus.
Postscript: Repent and believe, remember hell is real, heaven is real. No matter how long we spend here on earth it cannot be compared to the time we shall spend in eternity. Hebrews 12:14 states: Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord.
Pastor, Mountain of Fire and Miracles Ministries, Angel Branch (MFM Angel)
Unit 2/3 Packington Sq, Packington St, Off Essex Road, N1 7PS, Angel , Islington, London , UK.
Copyright: Flaming Fire Publications All rights reserved
If you died today, are you absolutely certain that you would go to heaven? You can be! Click here and TRUST JESUS NOW
Read more articles by Bode Ayodele
Like reading Christian Articles? Check out some more options. Read articles in Main Site Articles, Most Read Articles or our highly acclaimed Challenge Articles. Read Great New Release Christian Books for FREE in our Free Reads for Reviews Program. Or enter a keyword for a topic in the search box to search our articles.
The opinions expressed by authors do not necessarily reflect the opinion of FaithWriters.com.