Abortion, Government Officials - and the Jesus of the Bible
by Robin Calamaio 11/25/2007 / Politics
Is "The State" just an impersonal, faceless institution of laws, bureaucracies and buildings? Some may think so - but not the Biblical Theist! "The State" is simply a group of individuals under Biblical directives for governance. Whether they want this, know this, or believe this - does not alter this reality. That is why I direct this material to the "Governing Official" - not some obscure concept of, "The State." I will first define the primary directive for all who govern, and then address abortion specifically. We will look at the hopes, the fears - and my advice to all pro-choice governing officials.
"O Governing Official ... Your Role and Responsibility"
Romans 13:1-4, concisely defines the role and responsibility of governing officials. "Let every person be in subjection to the governing authorities .... For rulers are not a cause of fear for good behavior, but for evil. Do you want to have no fear of authority? Do what is good and you will have praise from the same; for it is a minister of God to you for good. But if you do what is evil, be afraid; for it does not bear the sword for nothing; for it is a minister of God, an avenger who brings wrath upon the one who practices evil ..." (Ro 13:1-4).
Actually, the authority itself is "theou gar diakonos" - "of God ... a deacon, servant, or minister"! The Creator calls governing authority - His minister! When one takes on this power, that one is responsible - and accountable - to use that tool of God according to God! I wonder how many governing officials know this? And the ministry? Support law-abiding producers and punish evildoers. And governing officials are to properly define what is good or evil - according to God's definition. So, with this in mind, let's examine abortion.
The Hopes of Pro-Choice Governing Officials
1. The preborn is subhuman. It is not a person and has no rights. It is a nameless, faceless blob of protoplasm - a "growth" inside a woman. So, while abortion kills tissue that is alive, this destruction is not the taking of "a life."
2. The Church/State separation governing construct is valid. So, if there is a Creator, and even a Creator interested in the preborn, abortion is a religious question and the government can rightly excuse itself from the entire issue. After all, many religious sects believe life and personhood begin at conception, but not all of them do. Therefore, even a deeply religious governing official is confronted with this question: "What gives me the right to impose my moral/religious views on those under my jurisdiction?" So, the governing authority takes the perceived high road and delegates the fate of this living "thing" to the mother.
3. A woman's privacy trumps the life of the preborn. Bumper stickers stating, "Get the government out of my womb!" capsulate the position.
4. It is okay to delegate "the sword" to private citizens to be used against the preborn.
5. There is no Creator of the preborn - nor One to whom the governing official must account. Conception is a random, natural event.
"We are not actually pro-abortion. We are simply passing this decision off to the woman and her doctor. It is the woman's body and she has a privacy right. This is a health issue out of the legitimate jurisdiction of government." The Humanist governing official has placed all of his/her hopes on the validity of the positions above.
The Fears of Pro-Choice Governing Officials (At Least These Should Cause Fear)
1. The preborn is human. (But, if there is no One to account to - so what?)
2. The adoption of a Church/State separation model does not release governing officials from the Creator's demands for proper moral governance.
3. Every preborn has been formed by the Creator. He has a vested interest in each one. A mother's "right to privacy" does not trump this. He owns His work - mother and preborn.
4. Governing officials who kill the preborn, or allow the preborn to be killed, have erred in their responsibility with "the sword." They have either errantly wielded it (China), or erred by delegating it to private citizens (USA).
5. Governing officials hold accountable positions before the Creator. He has the willingness, and ability, to call each one before Him to account for his/her role in each act of abortion. This includes an accounting for the hapless embryos of the stem cell endeavors.
If any of these "fears" are true, then the errant governing official will be found as a lethal agent toward the most defenseless of the human family.
"Now therefore, O kings, act wisely; take warning, O judges (leaders) of the earth. Serve the Lord with fear .... Do homage to the Son (Kiss the Son), lest He become angry, and you be destroyed in your way ..." (Ps 2:10-12). Jesus is either The Ruler over all authorities - or He is not. (See Mt 28:18, Phil 2:9-11, Col 1:16, Rev 19:16, etc., etc., etc.).
The Biggest Error - That Pesky Life Element
All who support abortion rights are operating with a fatal assumption. They have adopted the opinion of the atheistic, evolutionary, naturalist - before science has proven the opinion is true! And what is that opinion? The "spark" that makes non-living elements come to life is just some kind of natural phenomenon. Life "happens" when the right chemical combination occurs in the right environment. What a huge blunder. Until scientists can isolate, identify, replicate or otherwise discover the "life element," self interest should restrain one from rushing to kill innocent human life. Abortion's primary purpose is to sufficiently scramble living material until that "life element" vacates. What it is, how it got there, or where it goes - no one has a clue. Abortion activity only knows how to make it leave. So, ... what if this is the truth? "See now that I, I am He, and there is no god besides Me; It is I who put to death and give life ..."(Deut 32:39). What might such a Creator do to abortion rights supporters?
What Should Individuals Who Serve in Government Do?
You should think of it this way. "If it is even remotely possible the pro-life position is correct, then I must do whatever it takes to avoid any complicity in abortion. When my short life ends, I must make sure I have no culpability in this area before a Creator of life." Whether contraception that produces the death of a preborn, or the harvesting of embryonic stem cells, or giving "the sword" to abortionists ... I would do whatever was necessary to make sure the Creator of that life would have no cause against me. The threats, railings, and wails of Planned Parenthood, NOW, NARAL, or the Democratic Party Platform would become more and more distant as my appointment with that Creator draws ever closer. Let them vote me out, impeach me, or otherwise depose me. And, if they must, let them kill me. "My friends, do not fear those who kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do. But I will warn you whom to fear: fear the One who after He has killed has authority to cast into Hell; yes, I tell you, fear Him!" (Lk 12:4,5). "It is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the living God" (Heb 10:31). Like is so often the case in the Bible, this is a massive understatement. But abstinence or passivity in abortion activity is not enough. Governing officials are charged with the welfare of each person under his/her jurisdiction. God expects governing officials to shut down abortion.
"O Participating Governing Official ...."
Do not think your pro-choice voting block, lobbyists, or advisors will come to your aid on Judgment Day. While the Creator will be meting out their "reward" for their errant actions and influences, those same "friends" will be busy declaring you made your own choices - and those choices should not fall back on them. But, don't worry. The Creator will not let them successfully shift blame. But know that each of them will be scrambling, in a vain attempt, to save themselves from their Creator. You, and your defense, will be the last thing on their minds. In this matter, I am your friend. But you must listen now. I will not be able to help you then.