by Laurie Glass
4/24/2008 / Self Help
Your loved one has an eating disorder and you want to help. Perhaps you're close to this person and you're doing what you can, but at times it still seems difficult to know what to say. Maybe you aren't that close, but you want to help in some way. Understandably, it's difficult watching someone you care about suffering from an eating disorder, and there may be times you feel helpless. You may even struggle with knowing how to pray. Here are some suggestions for how you can pray. According to Phil. 4:6-7, with thanksgiving and in faith:
1. Pray for courage to face fears.
2. Pray for peace to reign over panic.
3. Pray for truth to win out over the lies your loved one believes about him/herself.
4. Pray for healing of inner pain.
5. Pray for willingness and strength to allow emotions to surface as well as for healthy ways of dealing with these feelings.
6. Pray for your loved one to see him/herself through God's eyes.
7. Pray for perseverance to keep fighting the eating disorder.
8. Pray for your loved one to stay focused on the Lord and the freedom that He has waiting for him/her.
9. Adapt one of Paul's prayers to the situation. (Eph. 1:17-21; Eph. 3:16-19; Col. 1:10-14)
10. Ask for the Holy Spirit's prayers for your loved one. (Rom. 8:26)
Remember that any prayer you breathe has value. Also, remember to wait expectantly for Him to answer as He releases His power on your loved one. When you're praying, you won't need to feel helpless. What a blessing to have a part in your loved one's eating disorder recovery journey.
Laurie Glass has a Master of Ministry degree in Christian Counseling and is the author of Journey to Freedom from Eating Disorders. She is a recovered anorexic who offers online Christian counseling services to adult women with eating disorders. See her website at http://freedomfromed.com/.
Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com
If you died today, are you absolutely certain that you would go to heaven? You can be! TRUST JESUS NOW
JOIN US at FaithWriters for Free. Grow as a Writer and Spread the Gospel.