Suffering for the Faith
by Rik Charbonneaux

I was listening to a 1997 adaption of the very old song "Buttermilk Hill" by Mark O'Connor with James Taylor* (Title: Johnny has gone for a soldier) about a woman who suffered and made sacrifice throughout her life for her Johnny who was a soldier during the 1688 Irish rebellion against the English. Like our soldier's wife today, on a soldier's pay, life is hard and suffering is common.


It reminded me of the sufferings that Christians endure in a negative and anti-Christian society. They do so gladly, however it is not a pleasant thing to do, but John 13:63 makes it clear that suffering is part of our calling as Christ followers, but that He also encourages us to "take heart", for he has overcome the world. Christians around the world cling to this promise as they are being martyered** for their faith or subjected to extreme suffering. We too shall eventually suffer death for our faith as the time of our Lord's Second Advent draws nearer. That is written and we shall have no fear.


*For anyone who loves the excellent violin of Mark O'Connor and the voice of James Taylor, seek their version of "Johnny has gone for a soldier" on YouTube Music.
** As an aside, I had the pleasure of speaking with a Chaplin nameed Chee-Chee from Nigeria,who recently came to the United States. She told me of the Christians (Catholic) being killed in Northern Nigeria by Muslims A sad situation that we will see ourselves one day.



Rik Charbonneaux is a retired NE Iowan who loves all of God's Word and all of His creatures.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print