FREE CHRISTIAN REPRINT ARTICLES
Christian Articles for All of your Publishing Needs!
Word Count: 377
|Send Article To Friend||Print/Use Article|
How Christians Can Overcome Shame
by stephanie reck
2/23/2015 / Christian Living
Dictionary.com defines shame as a painful emotion caused by a consciousness of guilt or shortcoming. Far too many Christians feel unworthy, dirty or not good enough. Shame can have roots all the way to someone's childhood, especially if there were any forms of abuse, rejection, or abandonment. Some people carry shame all of their lives and do not even know it.
Shame however can come out in these ways:
1. Withdrawing, hiding, and self-protecting.
2. Low self-worth.
3. An overall sense of just not feeling good enough or worthy enough.
4. Reflecting and dwelling on past sins; end up feeling like a failure.
5. Feel everyone else is somehow better than you.
Main causes of shame:
1. Sin-Hidden and unconfessed sin of a believer in Christ. We must repent and confess of sin to be cleansed of shame. The shame of unconfessed sin causes us to hide, withdrawal, fear, and to have self-pity.
2. Abuse- Past or present physical, sexual, or emotional abuse.
3. Poor self-image-This can be rooted in rejection, abandonment, and ridicule.
4. Seeing yourself as not forgiven and carrying the shame of your former sins.
The enemy loves to remind us of our past and past failures, but to reflect on these lies brings a wearing down of ourselves spiritually. If we begin to ponder these past sins and failures, we will see ourselves distorted. Anyone who thinks on their past sins too long, will eventually see themselves as worthless and unclean. If you have repented of your sins and turned from them, then this is the opposite of who you really are.
You must begin to believe the truth of who God says that you are, not the lies of the enemy. Stop thinking about your past failures and sins, that is not who you are anymore. That sin has been dealt with and washed in the Lamb's blood of Jesus Christ. You are no longer that wretched sinner!
1 John 1:9, if we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from ALL unrighteousness.
Shame becomes a problem when it becomes a part of your identity!
Share your story with how you overcame shame. I believe it could be a blessing to someone!
If you died today, are you absolutely certain that you would go to heaven? You can be! Click here and TRUST JESUS NOW
Read more articles by stephanie reck
Like reading Christian Articles? Check out some more options. Read articles in Main Site Articles, Most Read Articles or our highly acclaimed Challenge Articles. Read Great New Release Christian Books for FREE in our Free Reads for Reviews Program. Or enter a keyword for a topic in the search box to search our articles.
The opinions expressed by authors do not necessarily reflect the opinion of FaithWriters.com.